Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Spring Looks for Less

My good friend Robyn recommended I mirror styles from current magazines and photograph items from my shop styled in similar ways.  Today is my first attempt!  I am not a photographer, nor am I a stylist.  However, it was fun taking a stab at laying out items just like InStyle magazine and taking pics.  You may find many similar items in your own closet, or you may want to hit the thrift stores, discount retailers or vintage outlets to find something similar for less.

First off, I noticed lots of flowy dresses in the March 2012 InStyle. Specifically, pages 233 & 234. Most dresses run between $95 (topshop.com) & $750 (Suno, thecorner.com). The silk cap sleeve Alice Ritter dress for $575 is quite lovely, as is the Suno vintage-look short printed dress. I have four examples of vintage dresses that provide a similar look and can be further styled for 2012. All are available at Dianadwain on etsy.
 
At left is the spread from InStyle.  Opposite, my dresses include a pink 1970's spaghetti strap dress with tight pleats also has a jacket with peplum, cotton blend, $30. My black dress shown has 3 tiers with spaghetti straps and full lining. Late 1970's or early 1980's for $30.

Another dress of mine at left is an early 1980's flowy style with wide elastic waist and flowing skirt. 
Sheer, requires a slip or can be worn over a swimsuit.  It needs a bit of repair work, but will sell for $20 at DianaDwain on etsy.


Next up, denim. Super looks for the spring and very versatile, as the article states regarding jackets on p. 242.  The jacket below left is by Armani Jeans and sells for $325 (armani.com).  I especially like the fading at its shoulders.  At right in this same article, the look is from Levi's for $78 (levi.com).
My look at far right is a DKNY 1980's blazer in denim with some stretch for extra comfort.  The fading is there, with a gold antique tint to look tea stained.  It is worn over an '80's black sequin mini dress with a cutout back.  The canary yellow beaded bag, big '80's Liz Claiborne shades, and Van Eli sandals complete the outfit.  All vintage, available in my shop.

Finally, p. 244 shows a bright yellow cotton jacket from Gap, $90 (gap.com). A very clean, nautical look over a striped Lynne Hiriak tank ($78 cardigannewyork.com) and denim 7 for All Mankind mini skirt ($169, 7forallmankind.com).   My version is a 1980's zip up track jacket from Cos Cob with a blue boy's tee (literally... my 9 year old son's) from Target and cut-off vintage Levi's shorts. The 1960's straw bag (Simon Styled by Mr. Ernest, Hong Kong), gold toned chain necklace and vintage tortoise shades complete the look.   

This has been a fun experiment! Flipping through magazines is fun, but we can't always afford to go out and buy the latest fashion trend. Sometimes, shopping vintage, thrift, and our own closets can be all we need to look fashionable for the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment